Serious problems – Profit Targets not triggered and Stop Losses not added on execution

3 replies

jastejp

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 8 replies.

Visit profile

6 years ago #117882

Hi,

I have two problems at the moment with my backtesting in MT4: one for EA Wizard coding and the other for the MT4 tester (I think).

EA Wizard bug: the Stop Losses are sometimes not activating in the MT4 tester

In the attached chart you can see the last sell stop order was triggered correctly, but no Stop Loss was placed above the stop order entry point. I have a Stop Loss of 16 pips ($160) so it would have been stopped out for a loss if it had been activated and I wouldn’t have a profit of $600 too. See the Results table (attached) where a Stop Loss (s/l) should have been added after the order was executed.

Can you explain why the Stop Loss was added after the order was executed please. You can see the Stop Loss was added in the previous order and executed for a loss of $160 dollars.

This is a serious problem and the either the MT4 Tester or code is flawed and I presently I will not trade live using EAs until this have been resolved

Profit Targets not triggered – it seems an MT4 Tester problem, but possibly code too

In the attached (TargetNotTriggered_1) chart you can see the Profit Target wasn’t triggered when the price was hit even accounting for the spread. This can be confirmed a problem when the Profit Target was triggered at a price higher than the previous bar which was lower – see attached chart (SellTargetTriggeredHigherThanPreviousLow).This is a serious problem with MT4 or code. Please explain why this is happening.  Again I cannot trade live with EAs until this is resolved.

Thank you.

Jamie

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

6 years ago #145101

Hello,

it would be helpful if you attach your Wizard project. You can also send it to [email protected]. I will need to test this

jastejp

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 8 replies.

Visit profile

6 years ago #194622

Hello Tomas,

I found that when I used tick data with Range Bars and 99% modelling quality I didn’t get these problems. It just shows back testing using the standard tick data MT4 platform gives useless optimistic results. The modified M1 “Every tick” data back testing method is just a gimmick to trick the user.

I just hope you will release a new version of EA Wizard for MT5. MT5 looks like it can be much better for back testing using all cores on the processor and those in the cloud – it’s a real pity it doesn’t have the ability to import CSV tick data at the moment.

Thanks,
Jamie

tomas262

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

6 years ago #195074

Hello,

yes, the standard “every tick” backtest can be misleading sometimes. That’s why the 99% Modelling Quality should be used. We will definitely add support for MT5. We are working on adding this into Wizard and StrategyQuant.
Also the setting “SupportECNBrokers” set to true affects how PT and SL is placed. It has to be done separately from the parent order to support ECN brokers.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)