Money mgmt sizing for Stocks/ETFs?

7 replies

kiran

Subscriber, bbp_participant, community, 18 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #115184

I’m using Builder on Daily data for SPY (ETF) and would like to size the position at 100% of equity.

– I set the Money Mgmt option to “Risk Fixed % of Account”-> 100% Risk in Account, and have $25K capital.

However, it’s buying positions of 1 stock (1 unit) instead of buying $25000 of stock. 

How do i set Money Mgmt so it will take a position at 100% of equity?

thanks

Kiran

Threshold

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 723 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #137374

You can do it with EA Wizard but not SQ. You will need to money manage by lot size and update that manually as the account grows or shrinks. SQ doesn’t have anything that measures margin or account size for bet sizing, other than risk % which is for stop loss.

Mark Fric

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #137483

I’ll correct it, this is possible also in SQ, you can configure Money Management to risk fixed % of account.

If it doesn’t work for you it most probably means you have it set incorrectly. Make sure that your Lots decimals parameter is set to 0 for stocks/ETFs, this means how many decimal places should the size have.

I just tested it on ES with a strategy and it works.

Mark
StrategyQuant architect

Mark Fric

Visit profile

7 years ago #137484

one more idea why it might not be working as you expect – if your strategy doesn’t use Stop Loss. In that case, MM method cannot estimate risk and it will use the default size.

Mark
StrategyQuant architect

Threshold

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 723 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #137502

I’ll correct it, this is possible also in SQ, you can configure Money Management to risk fixed % of account.

If it doesn’t work for you it most probably means you have it set incorrectly. Make sure that your Lots decimals parameter is set to 0 for stocks/ETFs, this means how many decimal places should the size have.

I just tested it on ES with a strategy and it works.

He wants to use 100% margin(or balance) as in margin-based money management for lot sizing, stop-loss being irrelevant. This is actually a pretty good request for S&P/Futures accounts because they don’t offer the type of leverage FX does.

murty

Customer, bbp_participant, community, sq-ultimate, 99 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #141855

Is it possible to use Fixed Amount Position Sizing for stocks? I am not talking of Fixed Risk in dollars. I am talking of spending, say, $5000 on each trade, regardless of Stop Loss.  For example, Number of shares to buy/short = $5000 / PriceLevel.

Is this possible in StrategyQuant?

beppil

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 2 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #141861

It would be very useful especially when there are large changes in price in the historical data. The same option is present in Multicharts

tomas262

Visit profile

7 years ago #141908

Hello,

now fixed amount MM in SQ considers stop-loss size only. The possibility of buying $5000 worth of stocks is an interesting concept. This could be also added into SQ once finished. I will forward this to Mark to consider..

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)