Amazon EC2 – Virtual Server Hosting

22 replies

Patrick

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 424 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #115159

Amazon offers computing servers for low price – 36 cores and 60 GB memory / 3,091$ per hour (2200$ monthly)

Does anyone tried this? Does it worth? 

http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/pricing/

Mark Fric

Administrator, sq-ultimate, 2 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #137200

Maybe I’m missing something, but in my opinion it is ridiculously expensive. You can have a physical machine with these parameters for 1-2 months of the price on Amazon cloud.

It could be good for tasks that take only very limited amount of time, like few hours every month, but I think it is not good for SQ.

Mark
StrategyQuant architect

mikeyc

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 877 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #137201

That’s a lot of money you need to make in trading to cover just that cost.

Patrick

Visit profile

7 years ago #137202

looks its worth only short time. they offer up to 30 000 cores. i read its cheap somewhere.

i wanted to find out if there is better option than buying pc / servers to “my basement”

mikeyc

Visit profile

7 years ago #137203

Alternative is a dedicated server, hosted in a data centre.

E.g.

https://www.velia.net/shop/product/ultra-1

Patrick

Visit profile

7 years ago #137204

So best option is still to buy own Intel i7 / Xeon…nothing better on the horizon.

mikeyc

Visit profile

7 years ago #137206

So best option is still to buy own Intel i7 / Xeon…nothing better on the horizon.

Rent one in a datacentre on a monthly contract for between €200 and €500 depending on spec required.  That’s my plan for SQ4.  When you don’t need it anymore, stop the rental.

Threshold

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 723 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #137210

I already looked into it. If you want processing power it will add up and be too costly.

Threshold

Visit profile

7 years ago #137211

Rent one in a datacentre on a monthly contract for between €200 and €500 depending on spec required.  That’s my plan for SQ4.  When you don’t need it anymore, stop the rental.

For what specs are you getting?
I bought the dell r810 X4 xeon x7650 w/ 128GB ram for 1100$.
I don’t think renting new servers saves you money vs buying used servers. If you dont have a space for servers, in that case it is definitely worth renting.

_Cujo

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 101 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #137215

I host SQ on a Google VPS. Costs ~$150 p/m for the machine.

It’s not exactly a super powerful machine, but I only access it once a week to get the databanks, changethe building blocks, and let them run again. I do the robustness and retesting on one of my local machines.

Could it benefit from a more powerful machine, sure, but the $150 p/m is easy to cover and powerful enough. I mean, it’s a drop in the bucket, by the time I’m already covering RT data, another VPS for NT, etc…etc.. Also, subscriptions (Stocks & Commodities) a couple of books/kindle a month. ..ultimately, it’s a tax write off business expense, and a lowish (but enough) power for a SQ machine is not to much. 🙂

mabi

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 261 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #137216

I signed up for a free trial at Amazon .One core AMD. Have not used it yet thought it was very slow and minimum memory. Most probable i will forget ending it and will have to pay next year. There is many VPS services now. Almost to many which is good since the price is definately dropping. I find my main VPS is almost twice as expensive as other alternatives so i am thinking of switching but it is alot of work doing in that. what got me interested in Amazon is that you can bid on spot. This means you can get a lot of power very cheap until someone over bids you. Planned to try this if SQ4 and grid computing arrives.

Threshold

Visit profile

7 years ago #137221

A 1 core AMD is my ‘server’ that is running my MT4s and EAs. The first computer I built back around 2005 and it still works fine.

ctraverso

Customer, bbp_participant, community, 34 replies.

Visit profile

7 years ago #137318

I think it’s less expensive to buy a new i7 computer like this one http://www.ebay.it/itm/121351654337?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT.

mikeyc

Visit profile

7 years ago #137319

For what specs are you getting?
I bought the dell r810 X4 xeon x7650 w/ 128GB ram for 1100$.
I don’t think renting new servers saves you money vs buying used servers. If you dont have a space for servers, in that case it is definitely worth renting.

Have a look here https://www.velia.net/shop/region/frankfurt-am-main

Remember, this covers electricity and internet connection too.

Cheapest option long term is always going to be buying an i7 or Xeon box, but if you want a fast machine for just a few months at a time, this is an easy option that doesn’t cost too  much.

Patrick

Visit profile

7 years ago #137322

anybody know when something like new i7 (faster than i7, new i4790k) come to the market? i cannot find anything. 

mikeyc

Visit profile

7 years ago #137323

anybody know when something like new i7 (faster than i7, new i4790k) come to the market? i cannot find anything. 

http://wccftech.com/intel-2016-roadmap-leaked-confirms-kaby-lakes-10-core-broadwelle-apollo-lake-processors/

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

1 2